Are Above-Ground Propane Tanks Safe?

Home > Plumbing Blog > Are Above-Ground Propane Tanks Safe?

Are Above-Ground Propane Tanks Safe?Home heating, cooking, refrigeration, vehicle fueling, and gas fireplaces are a few examples of the essential uses of propane in our homes. For these reasons, reliable access to this fuel is necessary for many homeowners. Above-ground propane tanks serve this need exceptionally well by offering convenience, capacity, and accessibility. But are they safe?

For your protection as well as that of the general public, there are specific rules on the capacity of propane tanks. Due to the expansion of propane when exposed to heat, above-ground propane tanks are required to have an 80% capacity tank-fill limit. This leaves 20% of space for expansion, which limits the incidences of explosions.

Additionally, placement regulations ensure the safety of all propane users. For tanks over 125 gallons, a minimum distance of 10 feet from any building and any property line is required, according to the North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. This regulation effectively reduces the risk of property fires in the event of a propane tank leak.

Compared to buried propane tanks, above-ground propane tanks are the safer installation option for properties that are prone to flooding. They can be easily bolted down to concrete, preventing them from being stolen or carried away by flood waters. This offers excellent environmental protection from the hazardous effects of underground propane leaks.

At Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Southern Pines, we offer safe propane storage solutions that can cater for your family’s needs. Talk to us today if you’d like to learn more about whether an above-ground propane tank is a good option for your property.